Chicken Tinga Tacos
LOW CARB • HIGH PROTEIN
The only chicken tinga tacos recipe you will ever need! Spicy, saucy, simple, and so fresh!
Yield: 3 servings
Cook Time: 20 min
For Chicken Tacos:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup roughly chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 cup canned crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (rotisserie chicken works!)
- 10 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- crumbled cotija
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat a large skillet over medium. Once warm, add the oil and onion. Sauté for 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more. Stir in the chipotles, oregano, and cumin, and toast for 1 minute. Add in the tomatoes, stock, and salt. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 7 minutes.
- Place the tomato mixture in a high-powered or regular blender, and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended sauce to the pan over low heat. Add the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Prepare the garnishes. To assemble, top the tortillas with the chicken and garnish with the avocado slices, cilantro, red onion, and cotija. Serve with a lime wedge for squeezing.
Spiciness: Use two chipotle peppers for optimal “medium” spiciness. If you want a mild version, just use one chipotle pepper. If you want it hot hot hot, go for three.
SHARE THIS RECIPE!