Poached Eggs with Tomatoes, Swiss Chard and Chickpeas
LOW CARB • HIGH PROTEIN • PALEO
If you're on the hunt for a new way to enjoy eggs, try this play on the traditional Middle Eastern dish shakshuka that satisfies as a special Spring breakfast or post-workout dinner. To amp things up in the nutrition department, garbanzo beans are added for even more protein and Swiss chard adds vitamin A, vitamin C, and iron!
Yield: 3 servings
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, drained
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Swiss or red chard, chopped
- 6 eggs
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for five minutes. Add chickpeas and sauté for another three minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add Swiss chard and cook down for about one minute.
- Make six little wells in the tomato and chard mixture, and add eggs to the skillet slowly.
- Move the skillet to the preheated oven, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the whites are set.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with basil, serve, and enjoy!
SHARE THIS RECIPE!